Is it just me or do weekends seem to end before they begin? This was a busy one for us and before I knew it, it was Sunday afternoon. After an exhausting couple of days, I was determined to have some down time. Sunday’s a “school night” and there’s just something special about spending Sunday evening at home with family and a great meal.
Last night’s menu was an old standard for us. This roast chicken recipe comes from Cuisine at Home magazine which has long been a cooking resource for me. This one pot dish provides the perfect Sunday supper.
The chicken roasts over a layer of sliced baguette and a savory mix of onions, celery, and herbs creating a rich, delicious dressing.
This delicious roast chicken comes together very quickly so you can put it in the oven and relax for the evening. Steam some asparagus or broccoli to serve alongside and you’ve got a delicious Sunday meal.
(Adapted from Lex's Roast Chicken, Cuisine at Home Magazine)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for chicken
3 Vidalia onions, halved and sliced
2 cups sliced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
1 teaspoon minced fresh sage
1 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
1 baguette, sliced into 3/4 inch slices
1 5 to 6 pound chicken
1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat olive oil in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Saute onion, celery, and garlic for 8 to 10 minutes. Add thyme, sage, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and lemon zest. Continue sauteing for 3 to 4 minutes until onions and celery are translucent. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
3. Line bottom of same skillet with slices of bread. Top with onion and celery mixture.
4. With kitchen shears or a large chef's knife, remove backbone from chicken. Open chicken and press against the breast to flatten. Place chicken over onion and celery mixture. Pour lemon juice over chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Place skillet in oven and roast for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving
6. Cut chicken into quarters and serve in the skillet.
Latest posts by Bill Harris (see all)
- Calzones with Smoked Chicken, Collards, and Pimento Cheese - July 1, 2015
- Blueberry Lemon Buttermilk Sorbet - June 26, 2015
- Summer Pizza with Smoked Chicken - June 23, 2015